Lab device

Before posting something, READ the changelog, WATCH the videos, howto and provide following:
Your install is: Bare metal, ESXi, what CPU model, RAM, HD, what EVE version you have, output of the uname -a and any other info that might help us faster.

Moderator: mike

Sipart

Lab device

Post by Sipart » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:55 am

Hi. EVE-NG is great so I hate to moan but I have continual issues with devices moving in my lab - even when the lab is locked.

I know a 'known issue' seems to be still be live but is there anything I can do to reduce this - different browser - specific version of Firefox - certain options in EVE/browser? Or just hang fire for a fix?

Hardware : CPU - Dual 2.66ghz Quad core Xeons with 24gb ram, 1x300GB and 2x146GB 10K SAS drives (one volume), 1 network interface
EVE-NG Running on - Bare Metal Linux (Ubunut 16.10)
VT-X - Enabled
Using Firefox with EVE non HTML5 interface.

See before and after:
eve.png

Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Uldis (UD)

Re: Lab device

Post by Uldis (UD) » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:11 am

First do update EVE to the newest version v70.
from cli:
apt-get update
apt-get-upgrade
apt-get dist-upgrade

reboot vm

restart apache service

to start apache web server:
systemctl start apache2

to check status apache2:
systemctl status apache2

Then obviously clear browser cache and frefresh browser with F5.
Use newest Firefox.

UD

Sipart

Post by Sipart » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:57 am

Hi. OK thanks - sorry I should of said the EVE is on V70 already with no issues other than this (done a VM and apache restart)?

So is everything just belt and braces stuff? (I will upgrade firefox though as that is not up to date).

Cheers

ecze

Post by ecze » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:28 am

What we don't understand is that you are the only user facing this issue....

Hard for us to conclude that EV-NG code is the culprit.....

Have you got a clean firefox without exotic extension ?

Do you use a proxy with deep inspection ( with javascript code control etc.. etc... )

E.

Sipart

Post by Sipart » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:21 pm

Hi OK thanks for your thoughts.

To be honest I'll expand on this a bit as its more complex than the above.

I actually have two bare metal ESXi servers. One at home and one at work (both very similar in spec - Dell R610s). I also have EVE installed in two separate VMware workstation players on two different PCs (which I don't have this full lab so will transfer that across the try it in that one when I can).

No weird extensions and no proxies or firewalls involved.

I have transferred the lab and all images to get the same lab from bare metal server to the other bare metal server - so these two are in sync.

So I do access the lab via three different PCs and can try different browsers - I have 'similar' issues with this lab in all.

I have had this lab a while and added devices over time and has existed over various versions of EVE (I update EVE promptly when new versions come out) - so it might be the size and type of lab and its transformation over time and versions that may be causing me issues.

That's why I may have to bit the bullet and start from scratch.

I'll try this lab in a fresh VMware workstation EVE build and see what happens.

Cheers again - thanks for all your and the dev' team efforts with EVE :-)

Sipart

Post by Sipart » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:17 pm

Hi. OK I imported this lab (imported the UNL file and copied the full lab over from tmp directory from my backup and fixed permissions) into a local VMware workstation player (still on V68).

>> the below is all using a local VMware workstation player and a fully up to date vanilla Firefox browser. You can see some differences to the screenshots from the lab on the bare metal EVE and that the devices moved to different positions and that on the bare metal install some CEs also moved as well as the DC spine leaf topology - the moves are always slightly different and these moves happen when zooming in and out and also when adding devices.

Is it too complicated to interpret how EVE marks and position of the lab devices so I can pinpoint a file to troubleshoot my setup(s) in rleation to this lab?

After the import I opened the lab (it was locked) and devices had moved.
I unlocked the lab.
I moved devices back in place.
I locked the lab.
I closed the lab.
Even before I opened the lab I can see in the preview that the devices are back out of place.

I will remove the lab again (delete LAB and all LAB tmp files), upgrade to V70 and reimport again and see what happens.

See screenshots below:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ecze

Post by ecze » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:27 pm

Leave your topology file here for analysis.

Regards,

E.

Sipart

Post by Sipart » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:14 pm

Attached - cheers

mike

Post by mike » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:00 pm

Just did a test.
After import the nodes in bottom are misplaced, but once "lock" removed and nodes placed in their places all good with close/reopen lab/browser etc.

Sipart

Post by Sipart » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:28 pm

Hi OK thanks - this just becomes more difficult to work out then. I'm just dumping my brain here in case any one else gets this weird issue - I'm not after a solution as it's obviosuly something common to my setup(s). I just can't pin anything on this yet.

All the below is working on my laptop to the VMware WS player EVE-NG.
First do update EVE to the newest version v70.

From cli:
apt-get update ### Done
apt-get upgrade ### Done
apt-get dist-upgrade ### Done (nothing notable happened here apart from normal apt autoremove suggestion)

reboot vm ### Done

restart apache service ### Done

to restart apache web server:
systemctl restart apache2

to check status apache2:
systemctl status apache2 ### OK

Then obviously clear browser cache and refresh browser with F5 ### DONE
Use newest Firefox - 54.0.1 (32-bit) ### DONE
I have tried with Chrome as well (cleared cache first) and same issue!

Some errors in the php log??

Code: Select all

[21-Jul-2017 21:48:20 Europe/Rome] Jul 21 21:48:20 WARNING: Node has no valid image (40025).

[21-Jul-2017 21:48:20 Europe/Rome] Jul 21 21:48:20 WARNING: Attribute ignored, invalid node_image (40006).
These are the locations of the devices that always move. If I close the lab and manually edit the file and shift the 'mgmt-net-dc' object to approx where it should be and then open the GUI and look at the preview the object is in the right place; open the lab; the object is in the right place; close the lab; the object has moved!! arggggh!!

NODE25 server03		left="2098" top="1754"
NODE27 ZTP_DHCP		left="2362" top="2175"
NODE28 cumulus_ztp_test	left="2623" top="2181"

ztp-net			left="2500" top="2199"
mgmt-net-dc		left="1628" top="2084"
Locations of objects that don't move that I used to approximate the location of the 'mgmt-net-dc' object manually above.

leaf02 			left="1038" top="1173"
leaf03 			left="1224" top="1176"
I will try this from a different PC to my home bare metal lab server (after updating that) and see what I get.

Thanks again

Cheers for now