Bare Metal install on HP server

Before posting something, READ the changelog, WATCH the videos, howto and provide following:
Your install is: Bare metal, ESXi, what CPU model, RAM, HD, what EVE version you have, output of the uname -a and any other info that might help us faster.

Moderator: mike

daniel

Bare Metal install on HP server

Post by daniel » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:40 pm

I bought a HP Proliant G8 server and want to install EVE-NG directly on it. There are three routes I can go and I need some input to decide which one is best for me:

1. EVE ISO download and install - seems the easiest but will it install and run properly on this Vendor Specific hardware?
2. Install Ubuntu 16 and add EVE on top it - any benifits doing this way compare to option 1?
3. Install the latest Ubuntu 17 and add EVE - is this even possible?

Any comments are welcome.

Thanks,
Daniel

Sipart

Re: Bare Metal install on HP server

Post by Sipart » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:52 am

Hi. In my experience I would go for option 1 (http://www.eve-ng.net/index.php/documen ... re-install). The ISO is Ubuntu 16.04LTS so any vendor specific issues would be exactly the same as a nomal Unbuntu LTS install (very few I would imagine for a mainstream server like yours)

I have done this on HP and Dell servers with no real issues apart from network drivers which are straight forward to resolve (only experienced this on the Dell hardware).

Cheers

mku

Post by mku » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:23 pm

Hi,

So ISO image available for download can be installed on bare metal machine? I thought it's just different archive type and requires ESXi, just like ova.

daniel

Post by daniel » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:44 pm

Sipart wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:52 am
Hi. In my experience I would go for option 1 (http://www.eve-ng.net/index.php/documen ... re-install). The ISO is Ubuntu 16.04LTS so any vendor specific issues would be exactly the same as a nomal Unbuntu LTS install (very few I would imagine for a mainstream server like yours)

I have done this on HP and Dell servers with no real issues apart from network drivers which are straight forward to resolve (only experienced this on the Dell hardware).

Cheers
Thanks Sipart. The link you provided is for my option 2 with standard Ubuntu ISO + EVE repo install? Is there a link for EVE ISO direct install?

Sipart

Post by Sipart » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:35 pm

daniel wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:44 pm
Sipart wrote:

Cheers
Thanks Sipart. The link you provided is for my option 2 with standard Ubuntu ISO + EVE repo install? Is there a link for EVE ISO direct install?
Yes sorry your right - option 2 is the option I meant to refer to as the best, when you say "Is there a link for EVE ISO direct install?" I am not sure what you mean but the installation instructions on this site and download section (+ YoutTube videos) cover all the options. But referring to your original question then the best option I feel is bare metal.

daniel

Post by daniel » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:09 pm

Sipart wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:35 pm
daniel wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:44 pm
Sipart wrote:

Cheers
Yes sorry your right - option 2 is the option I meant to refer to as the best, when you say "Is there a link for EVE ISO direct install?" I am not sure what you mean but the installation instructions on this site and download section (+ YoutTube videos) cover all the options. But referring to your original question then the best option I feel is bare metal.
ISO direct install I mean the ISO that can be downloaded from this link - http://eve-ng.net/index.php/downloads/eve-ng. Isn't that a EVE customized Ubuntu image that can save me the hassle of adding the apt-get repo?

Thanks,
Daniel

Uldis (UD)

Post by Uldis (UD) » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:45 am

Daniel,
best bare install steps are described here

http://www.eve-ng.net/index.php/documen ... re-install

Bare install starts from Ubuntu server install

UD

daniel

Post by daniel » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:52 pm

Tried EVE.ISO downloaded from the link in this website on the HP Proliant server and it didn't work. I got a dreaded initramfs) prompt which left my USB keyboard completely dead.

The Bare Metal install with stardard Ubuntu 16 works for me.

Uldis (UD)

Post by Uldis (UD) » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:55 am

but in How was exactly pointed which ISO you should use, standard Ubuntu ISO :)

daniel

Post by daniel » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:34 pm

Uldis (UD) wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:55 am
but in How was exactly pointed which ISO you should use, standard Ubuntu ISO :)
Tried to save some time but ended up wasting more time :(