Nexus 1000V ISO image?

Before posting something, READ the changelog, WATCH the videos, howto and provide following:
Your install is: Bare metal, ESXi, what CPU model, RAM, HD, what EVE version you have, output of the uname -a and any other info that might help us faster.

Moderator: mike

syn_synAck_ack

Nexus 1000V ISO image?

Post by syn_synAck_ack » Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:32 pm

I have a cisco nexus 1000v ISO image that I'd like to install on EVE-NG. There's a howto on NXOS 9k, but it assumes you have access to a Cisco customer account and can download the prepared qcow2 image file. I've tried a number of things already, including making a custom Linux template, extracting a formatted virtual disk image from the OVA file I also have, and running the ISO directly on QEMU on the same hardware as the EVE server but not as a template or a lab node.

The furthest I've gotten with any of this is a kind of rommon mode with a

Code: Select all

switch(boot)#
prompt.

I've also tried installing both the ova and the ISO on VMWare Workstation. The ISO gives the same prompt as above, but the ova installs fine.

pcolbeck

Re: Nexus 1000V ISO image?

Post by pcolbeck » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:46 am

Nexus 1000v is a special switch that's designed specifically as an alternative to the ESXi vSwitch. It need sto be installed on an ESXi server, it only talks to ESXi VMs and the ESXi server PNICs. It would probably install in nested virtualisation i.e an ESXi server running on top of ESXi or VMware workstation. It also needs a separate control plane VM that runs either as a VMware VM or on KVM. You will then need vCenter for it integrate with as well. It needs a VMware Enterprise Plus licence for it to run as well.
To be honest I have installed loads on Nexus 1000v in real life and wouldn't bother playing with it now. Its a dead product as VMware removed support for 3rd party vSwitches form ESXi after version 6.5a.

Uldis (UD)

Re: Nexus 1000V ISO image?

Post by Uldis (UD) » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:55 pm

Nexus 1000v is very specific image which works only in ESXi and in specific setup.
It is not standalone VM like Nexus 9000v which can be used to build labs.
EVE does not support such specific things as nexus 1000v

Uldis