Issue cloning Viptela devices

Before posting something, READ the changelog, WATCH the videos, howto and provide following:
Your install is: Bare metal, ESXi, what CPU model, RAM, HD, what EVE version you have, output of the uname -a and any other info that might help us faster.

Moderator: mike

tcurtis45

Issue cloning Viptela devices

Post by tcurtis45 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:06 pm

I am having a few issues with cloning Viptela devices (vManage, vBond, vSmart, vEdge) between labs. It appears there are two issues I am running into. I am running 19.2.31 in this lab.

1) I cannot get vManage to export. I see in the cookbook that it lists all of the elements except vManage:

11.3.1 Supported nodes for configuration exports
Cisco Viptela vEdge, vSmart, vBond

Is export not supported for vManage? If not is there another mechanism other than manually copying configs out that can be used to copy certificates and configuration between cloned instances?

2) vBond, vSmart, and vEdge all seem to export the configs, but even though in the clone I set them to read startup config and wipe, they only load with a default configuration. Is there any special sequence to loading these devices with the previously saved startup configs. I am able to create a new config, save and export, stop and start the nodes, and the config is saved. Only when cloning between instances do I have these issues.

Thanks for the help!

Uldis (UD)

Re: Issue cloning Viptela devices

Post by Uldis (UD) » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:14 am

up to version 18.4.5 exports will work.
New versions 19.x and 20.x does not support boot from export until

Export is not supported for vManage, because when you start new vManage node it must be installed first!
remeber steps on fresh vManage, need set hdd etc
Thats why it is not supported.
Different vMnagae can have different HDD selection etc, config script does not understand it

tcurtis45

Post by tcurtis45 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:29 pm

Ok thank you. Is backup of new versions a future plan or is it just impossible to do with the variability?

Uldis (UD)

Post by Uldis (UD) » Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:30 pm

yes but not vmanage