Internet access from lab using home router

Before posting something, READ the changelog, WATCH the videos, howto and provide following:
Your install is: Bare metal, ESXi, what CPU model, RAM, HD, what EVE version you have, output of the uname -a and any other info that might help us faster.

Moderator: mike

Tempte

Internet access from lab using home router

Post by Tempte » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:53 am

Hi guys,
Ive created OSPF network in the unetlab. The core router has the ip route 0/0 pointing to the 192.168.1.1(my home router). Default information originate command was used to advertise the default route from core down to the rest of the routers and gateway of last resort appers in all lab routers. I can access outside ip addresses from the core router in the lab but the rest of the routers can't. I'm using pnet0 which is briged to my network card. The interface on core router that connects to the pnet0 is in the same subnet as my home router. All the routers can talk to each other inside of the lab but cant get out to the intertet.
Is it a bug or im doing something wrong?
Im getting the same results either in the ESXI lab on a HP server or vmware workstation from my laptop.
If anyone got the internet working for the whole lab environment please share your setup, config etc.

MicCheck

Re: Internet access from lab using home router

Post by MicCheck » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:22 am

That depends on the way how your core router provides internet access to the rest of ospf network. It does not use NAT, I guess.. So you have to add a x.x.x.x/y 192.168.1.Z route on your home router, where x.x.x.x/y is your internal ospf address space and 192.168.1.Z is the address of core router facing your home router. Also you must allow NAT translations from x.x.x.x/y network on your home router. SOHO routers translate addresses from directly connected networks only (by default). That can be the source of your problems.

Uldis (UD)

Post by Uldis (UD) » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:52 pm

Of course, your home router knowing only about network 192.168.1.0/24 only, but not about networks what is behind Core UNL router.
Your solution is make NAT on Core router. or on home router add in the NAT proper subnets from UNL lab

Tempte

Post by Tempte » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:35 pm

Adding the static routes to my home SOHO router fixed the problem.
I'm going to try the NAT option as well , will update the topic then