QEMU issue on some KVM hosts but not others

Before posting something, READ the changelog, WATCH the videos, howto and provide following:
Your install is: Bare metal, ESXi, what CPU model, RAM, HD, what EVE version you have, output of the uname -a and any other info that might help us faster.

Moderator: mike

marc4play

QEMU issue on some KVM hosts but not others

Post by marc4play » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:58 am

I've been running IOL images on eve as KVM guest for months and finally decided to take a stab at NXOSV and CSR1000V NG. Unfortunately, the icon for these devices would light up blue for a moment and then gray back out when started, After playing with this for days, I built EVE-NG from scratch on my desktop, got everything working, and moved the image back onto my server rig but these QEMU images failed the same as before (IOL still works).

It seems there is something about my VM host that is the source of the problem but I don't know where to look.

Working host - AMD FX-8350 w/ 16GB
Not Working host - INTEL E5-2650 w/ 64GB

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Uldis (UD)

Re: QEMU issue on some KVM hosts but not others

Post by Uldis (UD) » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:29 am

I could understand if AMD CPU is not working for qemu, it is known AMD CPU issue, it does not support sub virtualization, thats why qemu nodes will not work on it.
With intel CPU no issues at all. Just be sure if in BIOS is enabled Intel VT-X/EPT virtualization ! (Virtualization feature in BIOS is enable)
As well if you are using EVE VM machine make sure if on CPU is enabled Intel VT-X/EPT function.
You can join to live chat discuss your issue:
http://www.eve-ng.net/live-helpdesk
use google account or create new for chat.

UD