CLI in Linux Ubuntu guest

Before posting something, READ the changelog, WATCH the videos, howto and provide following:
Your install is: Bare metal, ESXi, what CPU model, RAM, HD, what EVE version you have, output of the uname -a and any other info that might help us faster.

Moderator: mike

mdariuz

CLI in Linux Ubuntu guest

Post by mdariuz » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:24 pm

Hi everybody,

I'm trying to create an Ubuntu Server 16.04 image with some preload software. I followed the "How To.." guide ( http://www.eve-ng.com/documentation/how ... inux-image) step by step and everything works as a charm till the point that I want to set the serial port for telnet connection instead of VNC. I type the two commands

sed -i 's/GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=.*/GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="console=ttyS0,115200 console=tty0"/' /etc/default/grub

update-grub

but anything seems to change.

Is it any step that I am not getting?

Thanks in advance for your help

Uldis (UD)

Re: CLI in Linux Ubuntu guest

Post by Uldis (UD) » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:14 pm

on the same link is prepared ready to go image for eve...

UD

mdariuz

Post by mdariuz » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:39 am

Yes thanks, I've seen those but there no ubuntu server from terminal anymore. So, no one can help? Am I really the only one that want to use ubuntu server from my pc terminal?? LoL

Uldis (UD)

Post by Uldis (UD) » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:54 am

I dont know what are you doing there but this options for Server 16.04.4 works like charm

11. OPTION: For servers you can set serial console for telnet use instad of vnc.
Warning !!! Use the following command INSIDE the node cli. DO NOT use inside EVE-NG CLI !!!!!

sed -i 's/GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=.*/GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="console=ttyS0,115200 console=tty0"/' /etc/default/grub

update-grub

after update grub telnet native sessions works like charm

tip instead of reboot node, do stop/start node

UD

mdariuz

Post by mdariuz » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:40 am

I am using the EVE-NG community edition. Should I change any template setting??

I promise I'm following the instructions step by step but it doesn't work. Whit what Ubuntu image should I work? I'm using the ubuntu 16 server fresh downloaded from ubuntu

mdariuz

Post by mdariuz » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:42 am

To avoid typing error I have also tried connecting through SSH from my local pc an copy and paste the command but nothing. I shutdown, change the console to telnet, reboot and I have just a black session with the cursor that does't move. No errors, no messages, nothing

Uldis (UD)

Post by Uldis (UD) » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:10 pm

we have prepared Ubuntu server with this method...
https://mega.nz/#F!y5YCwZCA!42_S__9wwPVO0zHIfC4xow

16.04.4 is there as well

UD