Wireshark and tabbed telnet on Ubuntu

Moderator: mike

pagej

Wireshark and tabbed telnet on Ubuntu

Post by pagej » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:15 am

Hi,
I am new to this forum and using EVE. So far I have EVE-NG working on ESXi 6.5 and all seems well. I have created labs and can access the routers. I use another server running Ubuntu 16.04 and gnome as the device to log into EVE. I have also installed the integration tools. I have read the various HowTo's and looked at the video's, but they seem to concentrate on setting up wireshark and telnet from a Windows server rather than Ubuntu/Linux.
So where do I change the root password on the Ubuntu server to allow Wireshark to work as there is no similar 'wrapper' files to update like Windows.
I also found a how-to to get roxterm using tab's by modifying the eve-integration.desktop file, however I think that was on an older version of EVE and does not seem to work with the current version.
So any help on these two challenges would be appreciated.

ramindia

Re: Wireshark and tabbed telnet on Ubuntu

Post by ramindia » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:09 am

pagej wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:15 am
Hi,
I am new to this forum and using EVE. So far I have EVE-NG working on ESXi 6.5 and all seems well. I have created labs and can access the routers. I use another server running Ubuntu 16.04 and gnome as the device to log into EVE. I have also installed the integration tools. I have read the various HowTo's and looked at the video's, but they seem to concentrate on setting up wireshark and telnet from a Windows server rather than Ubuntu/Linux.
So where do I change the root password on the Ubuntu server to allow Wireshark to work as there is no similar 'wrapper' files to update like Windows.
I also found a how-to to get roxterm using tab's by modifying the eve-integration.desktop file, however I think that was on an older version of EVE and does not seem to work with the current version.
So any help on these two challenges would be appreciated.
Have you looked this page ?

https://github.com/SmartFinn/eve-ng-integration

R!

pagej

Re: Wireshark and tabbed telnet on Ubuntu

Post by pagej » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:59 pm

Thank you for your reply, yes that's where I got the eve-integration.deb file from.

Late last night I finally got the tabbed telnet working, by changing the line in

/usr/share/applications/eve-ng-integration.desktop

from

Exec=eve-ng-integration %u

to

Exec=env OVERRIDE_TERMINAL_CMD="roxterm --tab -e" eve-ng-integration %u

I have also found an issue with wireshark, it will not boot and throws an error " The X11 connection broke:Maximum allowed requested length exceeded(code 4). This is a separate issue.
I therefore tried wireshark-gtk(https://github.com/SmartFinn/eve-ng-int ... n/issues/4) after ready a post, updating this command

sudo sed -i '/wireshark_cmd =/ s/wireshark -k/wireshark-gtk -k/' /usr/bin/unetlab-x-integration

for eve. When I now try to capture it asks for a root password and boots wireshark-gtk, but does not perform a capture on the selected interface. So still a little work to do.