How much grunt for a good LAB worksation ?

Moderator: mike

pcolbeck

How much grunt for a good LAB worksation ?

Post by pcolbeck » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:18 am

Hi

I want to build a workstation dedicated to simulation. EVE-NG with up to 12 Nexus 9000v in a single lab plus DCNM and ISE. I will also be using it for nested VMware 6.7 with 5 ESXi servers and a virtual NAS (FreeNAS) to play with NSX-T etc. Probably other Cisco and VMware stuff as well.
I haven't tried building a dedicated LAB worksation before and cant work out how much CPU grunt and memory would be required to run things smoothly.

I was thinking of using Ubuntu as the base O/S with EVE-NG running on that and the VMware stuff in VMware Player.

I was looking at an AMD Threadripper 2 2950X with 16 cores and 32 Threads and 128GB RAM. Would that work OK ?

I'm trying to avoid using a dual socket rack mount server due to noise and power draw even when idling. The AMD Threadrippers look like a good choice for a low power (in watts) solution for virtualisation but am not wedded to it if its a bad idea.

Many thanks.

Uldis (UD)

Re: How much grunt for a good LAB worksation ?

Post by Uldis (UD) » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:51 pm

12 nexus dear you will need 24 physical cores to be sure this lab will work !!!

ok 20..
32 threads AMD, will be ok only as bare installed EVE... I do not guarantee if VM machine will work at all.
About AMD I cannot give any assurance if it is ok, or will work, sorry. Unpredictable thing.
Anyway I prefer Intel CPUs in any way...

If somebody will test EVE on newest AMD with VM ware as vm or ESXi station I will be very glad to check it out...

It iserevr with Dual CPU like E5-2650v3 or better, and 128G RAm.
Such heavy stuff dual CPU workstations are HP or DELL.

Laptops and other light pc will not run this lab..

best way join in our live chat to talk with eve experts for it..

https://www.eve-ng.net/index.php/live-helpdesk/

use your gmail account to join.

Uldis

sounknownyet

Post by sounknownyet » Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:33 pm

"Anyway I prefer Intel CPUs in any way..."

No reason to prefer it imho. If you were a bit interested in HW world you would know how much Intel is fucked up. So many vulnerabilities that if you apply every patch on your OS you can be glad you can run a browser. It is such a shame that there is no guarantee on AMD because they are doing good job especially with the much lower budget compared to Intel etc.

Intel advertises their CPU as much faster than they really are - cpubenchmark, for instance. Shady company with shady tactics.

pcolbeck

Post by pcolbeck » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:36 pm

Uldis (UD) wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:51 pm
12 nexus dear you will need 24 physical cores to be sure this lab will work !!!

ok 20..
32 threads AMD, will be ok only as bare installed EVE... I do not guarantee if VM machine will work at all.
24 physical cores you say, hold my beer I just ordered a Lenovo P710 with 2x E5-2680v4, 256GB DDR4 RAM, 512GB SSD and an nVidia Quadro K4000. So thats 28 physical cores and 56 virtual ones !

Quite exited now to see how this goes with a bare metal EVE Pro install.
Will find out next week sometime .