EVE-NG New User Review

Moderator: mike

gh8132

EVE-NG New User Review

Post by gh8132 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:49 pm

Let me take a moment to introduce myself. My name is Greg and I passed the CCNA a year ago. I was able to use Cisco Packet Tracer to accomplish most of my learning for this level. After deciding to pursue networking further I quickly realized I needed a more robust playground and after weighing the pros and cons of physical vs emulated equipment I decided to go the virtual route due to limited space and funds for physical equipment. I started the journey with Cisco VIRL. I found it to be clunky. I became frustrated every time I would try to take a learning topic and apply it to a lab. I also found the documentation to be extremely lacking. The final straw was an attempt to create a security lab running the stock ubuntu servers that come with VIRL. These are the server nodes you add to your topology. After spending literally a week trying to resolve external connectivity so I could load AAA services on the server I gave up and began researching GNS3 and EVE-NG. I settled on EVE-NG and I could not be happier. After downloading and installing Ubuntu and creating a node in EVE I am about 30 minutes away from having a functioning RADIIUS server I can use to create security labs. Creating external connections with EVE-NG is like taking candy away from a baby compared to VIRL. I literally spent minutes in configuration time. Long story short I am just getting started with EVE but I am already very pleased. Great product guys and keep up the good work!

Uldis (UD)

Re: EVE-NG New User Review

Post by Uldis (UD) » Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:25 pm

:)

Thank you sir :)