eve-ng vs gns3

Moderator: mike

sudonym366

eve-ng vs gns3

Post by sudonym366 » Sun Apr 02, 2023 2:14 pm

Hello

I am currently studying cisco and juniper certifications at the ccnp and jncis/jncip level.

While studying for my first ccnp exam (enarsi), I exclusively used cisco's cml2. However, since I am now looking at building labs that include vendors other than cisco (such as Juniper, and possibly Fortigate at some future point as well), I am trying to decide if it is better to use eve-ng or gns3.

From doing some google searching, I haven't been able to find a definitive/satisfactory answer as to which tool (eve-ng or gns3) is better. But I have noted that some cbt nuggets instructors such as Knox Hutchinson, Keith Barker and John McGovern seem to prefer eve-ng to gns3, since they have opted to use eve-ng instead of gns3 for some of their more recent courses. But that said, none of these instructors have actually provided much by way of explanation as to why eve-ng is their emulator of choice these days.

In light of the above, I would be grateful for feedback on the queries that I have:

1. What are the relative strengths and weaknesses of both eve-ng and gns3?

2. In what scenarios might one prefer to use eve-ng over gns3? And in what scenarios might one prefer to use gns3 over eve-ng?

3. As mentioned above, I am studying at the CCNP/JNCIP level, and my study interests are currently focused on traditional enterprise and service provider networking tools/ technologies. And in the future I will probably want to branch our a bit more and spend time studying automation tools and SDN. I will probably also want to study/emulate Fortigate at some future point as well. In light of these study needs, I would be grateful for advice on whether eve-ng or gns3 would be better? And furthermore, I am wondering if perhaps either of these emulators would satisfy my needs, and as such perhaps it isn't all that important which of the two I decide to go with?

terrylw64

Re: eve-ng vs gns3

Post by terrylw64 » Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:35 am

I've purchased the professional license absolutely love the fact, that everything I need is accessible via the browser. Unless, you want to use a 3rd party terminal app like Putty or SecureCrt, there is nothing that needs to be loaded on the pc. I know GNS3 is working on a web client. But it's not quite there yet.

A self contained environment that is accessible from anywhere that you have a web browser and network connection to the host is the number #1 item in my book.

florencepugh

Post by florencepugh » Thu May 04, 2023 2:44 am

Both EVE-NG and GNS3 are popular network emulators and have their own strengths and weaknesses. Based on your current study needs and interests, either emulator could be suitable. If you are primarily focused on traditional enterprise and service provider networking, EVE-NG may be the better choice due to its broader support for network devices. However,contexto if you are interested in automation and DevOps, GNS3 may be more appropriate due to its advanced automation features.

Emmal21

Post by Emmal21 » Thu Jul 20, 2023 4:25 am

A network software simulator called GNS3- Graphical Network Simulator-3 was originally made available in 2008. To simulate complicated networks, it enables the employment of both actual and virtual devices. Cisco IOS is simulated using emulation software called Dynamips. I go with GNS3. trap the cat

Uldis (UD)

Post by Uldis (UD) » Sun Jul 30, 2023 12:29 pm

You forgot to mention how the GNS3 is built :)
Local application but not the server way like EVE is, no scalability, nothing, cluster? GNS3 is not coroprate solution.
and EVE possibilities are much higher than GNS3, question, why then world corporations are going to EVE, and not to GNS3 which is built in 2008...?

You did not investigate anything after such judgement

GNS3 will ok for your home laptop or PC, thats it. It does support a lot, but think what your PC will afford to run. I agree for started GNS3 is ok, CCNA/CCNP class.

Try to create it on GNS3...
EVE lab below
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.