Can I use multiple HDDs w/bare metal install?

Moderator: mike

StudentofEve-NG

Can I use multiple HDDs w/bare metal install?

Post by StudentofEve-NG » Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:56 am

Hi there,

I'm very new to EVE-NG but I have built a box to run it on bare metal. I have my hardware up and running and Community installed/updated on the 500gb M2 drive. So far, so good. But now I'd like to add a 4TB SATA drive for "bulk storage" and building larger labs. Is there a way to have EVE-NG "run" from the M2 drive but use the 4TB SATA drive instead of filling up the M2?

Initially I ran the install from USB ISO with both drives connected and it chose the 4TB SATA drive to install/run. This time I unplugged the 4TB SATA drive so it had to install on the M2. Got any suggestions on how to best use these drives?

Lastly, I'm a network guy who has used Windows his whole career. I know a tiny bit about Linux but not enough to figure this out yet.

Thanks in advance for the help and happy New Year!

rusty725

Re: Can I use multiple HDDs w/bare metal install?

Post by rusty725 » Sun Dec 31, 2023 7:13 am

It would be wise to use the same type of drives cause they have the same write/read speeds, anyways here's the guide to expand a bare metal VM disk https://www.eve-ng.net/wp-content/uploa ... ystems.pdf

StudentofEve-NG

Post by StudentofEve-NG » Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:30 pm

Thank you for the information! That document is very helpful. My apologies for not finding it during my searches.

I was using Community but have now switched to Pro because, according to my understanding of the document, I need to use the Pro version in order to get a custom disk setup during install. So I built a new bootable USB drive with the EVE-NG Pro full ISO, connected both of my drives and booted from USB ISO. Sadly, I didn't see an option to customize the disk layout. My install went from Network Proxy right to "Continue". What am I doing wrong?

Thanks again for the help!

StudentofEve-NG

Post by StudentofEve-NG » Mon Jan 01, 2024 12:11 am

Hello again,

I'm up and running! I ended up unplugging the 4TB SATA drive and installing Pro on the M.2 drive. I then reconnected the SATA drive and used the 2nd procedure in the provided documentation to expand the LVM system across it. This went exactly as documented and seems to be working just fine. I'm still not sure what I did wrong to miss the custom disk config during setup but I'm sure I'll get a chance to try again at some point in the future. I'm digging what EVE-NG can do!

Thank you again and I wish everyone a very happy New Year!

StudentofEve-NG

Post by StudentofEve-NG » Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:25 pm

Thank you for those 3 options!! I guess I ended up using the third one because expanding the LVM was in the document and it seems to have worked! I'll investigate option 2 if I start to run out of space at some point or if I have to rebuild. Much appreciated!

hilllatter

Post by hilllatter » Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:53 am

Thanks for this solution.