Give EVE a Northbound API

Features you'd like to see in the upcoming version of EVE-NG

Moderator: mike

trace

Give EVE a Northbound API

Post by trace » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:30 pm

Currently, we're all busy with network automation. At least I am :)
The beauty of virtual environments is that it is flexible. You can test your code on network devices without all the physical activities.

Also you can do versioning with your lab state.

Wouldn't it be great to give EVE an API so you can use scripting to let EVE build you a network with state X.

You can then automate your test environment.

I got inspired by a Cisco Techwise video. they introduced NetOps in a nice way.
When they commit their scripting, as part of the test process, they'll launch a virtual network from scratch in VIRL ( meeh :| :mrgreen: ) .
Then their scripting will be tested after the virtual network has been converged. When the test is successful the lab shuts down again. And the commit is approved.

It is ready to be tested on physical hardware.

It will have a huge potential. And it will be a killer feature for the network automation world.

Please give us an programmable interface besides HTML to control EVE.

Uldis (UD)

Re: Give EVE a Northbound API

Post by Uldis (UD) » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:51 pm

in the frame of one vendor mate, but not in multivendor environment...

pr4ttack

Post by pr4ttack » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:16 pm

Uldis (UD) wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:51 pm
in the frame of one vendor mate, but not in multivendor environment...
Hello,

Actually, even in a multivendor environment, it could be interesting to be able to manage EVE-NG itself in a programmatic way, not necessarily the virtual devices underneath.

For example, by sending json strings describing the topology, the type of equipments to spawn and the configs to apply on startup.

That could let EVE-NG become very important in a CICD environment... VIRL understood this and did huges improvements on this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E36LN4Ycs6Q
My enterprise is thinking about replacing EVE-NG by VIRL (or CML) because of this :?

Uldis (UD)

Post by Uldis (UD) » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:25 am

EVE is not VIRL.

VIRL working for Cisco devices only, it is their goal make such automation for Cisco nodes, even virtual.
Thats why they can implement such features.. In frame of one vendor.

Multivendor environment is too different and very difficult to get up and running such stuff..
How you imagine make this feature in EVE just for Cisco or Juniper, and how then to get it work for others...Junt for interesting, no way. For such thing need money and time.
And who will pay for such EVE feature ?
As well, I dont remeber that your Enterprise (what enterprise?) had ever come to us with such talk...

Well good luck with VIRL :)

UD