Fully virtualised L2-L7 environment

Moderator: mike

itzafugazi

Fully virtualised L2-L7 environment

Post by itzafugazi » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:44 am

Hi,

I have a HP DL380 running ESXi 6.7 that I use as a virutalised Windows and VMware lab environment; domain controllers, file servers, Exchange, Linux appliances, nested ESXi hosts etc. I'm very happy with this setup in terms of a server lab, but it's obviously a flat network environment and I can't do much in terms of networking.

I've used GNS3 standalone for some Cisco network labs, but what I really want is to have one unified virtualised lab, where I can run my VMs through virtualised multi-vendor switches, routers and security appliances.

I got pretty close to this in GNS3; a dozen or so VMs, multiple L2 and L3 network devices (mostly IOSvL2 and C7200), a pfSense firewall, and internet connectivity in and out.

However, performance was absolutely dire. All devices could ping each other (although with quite high latency), and basic domain functions such as DHCP, DNS, Kerberos etc all worked, but once I tried to do anything even mildly bandwidth intensive such as a file transfer between VMs across an IOSvL2, packets would begin dropping and the throughput was minimal. It was unusable at an application level. Server performance on the DL380 didn't appear to be bottle necking either.

So my question; is the limitation here the IOSvL2? Will I get better results out of the IOSvL2 with Eve-NG compared to GNS3? I suspect the IOSvL2 is limited in some way to not allow decent "production" performance, since the built-in GNS3 switch gave consistent 1-2ms latency. Is my dream of a fully virutalised layer 2 to layer 7 lab unattainable? Would love to hear from anybody who has this set up successfully.

Uldis (UD)

Re: Fully virtualised L2-L7 environment

Post by Uldis (UD) » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:44 pm

Show topology what is connected and how, then I will try to answer if it will be success
Uldis

itzafugazi

Post by itzafugazi » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:19 am

I don't have a topology at the moment, at least not in Eve-NG yet.

As a test though it's simply two Windows VMs on the same subnet connected by a single IOSvL2 switch. In GNS3, nothing I tried would allow the two VMs to transfer files at a decent bandwidth.

Uldis (UD)

Post by Uldis (UD) » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:48 pm

OK I made same lab and comparision performance to send over FTP the file from win7 ftp server to win7 ftp client,
See x2 attachmenets: IOL which gave 3.x Mbps speed and vIOS just 185Kbps
So it is image issue only. Not the server !
I think those images like vIOS are similar as the ASAv which with no lic has restriction in the speed.
Actually for labbing my favorite are IOL and quite OK

Uldis
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.