Moderator: mike

gpapison

Issue with Palo Alto NGFW Node

Post by gpapison » Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:58 pm

AMD Ryzen 9 5950x
32MB Ram
ASUS Crosshair Hero VII
EVE-NG Pro 4.0.1-65

I am having issues with a PaloAlto 10.0.4 vm that does not appear to be loading properly. Are any other AMD CPU Users experiencing issues with Palo Alto vm's ?

Thanks

George

Uldis (UD)

Re: Issue with Palo Alto NGFW Node

Post by Uldis (UD) » Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:52 pm

What do you mean does not load?
is node starting?
did you set vnc console mate?

gpapison

Re: Issue with Palo Alto NGFW Node

Post by gpapison » Sat Feb 26, 2022 9:32 pm

Hello Uldis,

I posted this in the help-desk forum. My lab starts, my node starts, my node responds to ssh, I can access the CLI. the root terminal sessions shows me the Palo Alto VM code seems to be corrupted.... I can ping the Palo Alto VM (inside/outside/management) interfaces from a router in the lab. My Palo Alto VM is configured to allow me to access the GUI from the inside interface, and from a Windows 10 node in the lab I can in fact access the GUI from the inside interface. I cannot access the GUI from the management interface, even though it responds to ICMP pings, as do all the interfaces in my lab...

My conundrum, and frankly my confusion, comes from the fact the lab was working a week ago, I have made no changes to my system, and for some reason the Palo Alto VM (PA-VM-ESX-10.0.4) will not install a working node anywhere is eve-ng-pro. The console indication is code corruption. The exact same VM install with no problems outside of eve...???

Cheers

George

*******************************************************************************************************************************************

My original post to the help-desk:

AMD Ryzen 9 5950x CPU
32MB Ram
EVE-NG-Pro 4.0.1-65
VMWare Workstation 16.2.2

I opened a previously working lab yesterday, after not using it for a week, and after starting everything up I attempted to log in via HTTPS to the management interface, which has a static IP address, and my connection was denied. I went to a Windows 10 vm I was running in the lab and was able to access the GUI via an internal interface I had put a management profile on which allowed me HTTPS access. Based on the GUI everything looked OK, however I was not getting log entries for the failed HTTPS access through the management interface. Using a Cisco router I had in the lab I was able to ping all my interfaces on both my PaloAlto FW's with no issue, hence there is not a routing/switching issue.

When I opened a new lab and attempted to install a new PaloAlto FW the new installation failed to install a DHCP address, which is SOP for PaloAlto VM's....

I had a PA VM on my VMWare workstation and it loaded, and configured a DHCP address, no problem. I copied all my configurations from my lab.

I deleted the Palo Alto qcow2 from EVE-NG and following the how to's reinstalled a known good, working, VM. Shutdown EVE-NG, shutdown VMWare Workstation 16, shut down my desktop and starting from scratch fired everything up. I was still not able to access the management interface via GUI and, again, when I attempted to install the "new" PA Qcow it too did not configure a DHCP interface.