lacp to external switch

Before posting something, READ the changelog, WATCH the videos, howto and provide following:
Your install is: Bare metal, ESXi, what CPU model, RAM, HD, what EVE version you have, output of the uname -a and any other info that might help us faster.

Moderator: mike

Pauwl

lacp to external switch

Post by Pauwl » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:58 am

Hi,

I am trying to configure a lacp channel from a juniper device to a physical switch using the pnet interfaces.
Problem is, it looks like the lacp pdu are not being transferred from the virtual interface (1 of the vun interfaces) to the physical eth interface.
With wireshark I see the packets in my vun interface, but not on the attached eth interface.
Other way around, I can see the pdu packets from the external switch on my eth interface but this is not being transferred to the bridged interface.

With brctl show and showmacs I see the interfaces are connected to the pnet interface and I can see the mac addresses.

I did another test to a virtual windows machine in eve, and if I connect the interface to the switch I can see arp traffic for example flowing through the bridge.

Has anyone encountered this behaviour? Is some traffic being blocked to flow through the bridged interface?

Regards Paul

Pauwl

Re: lacp to external switch

Post by Pauwl » Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:03 pm

Ok, so it seems the linux bridge will not permit some of the L2 traffic (pbdu, lacp traffic etc).
I tried the solution as described in https://interestingtraffic.nl/2017/11/2 ... _fwd_mask/ but no luck for lacp. lldp is working now.
They also refered to a custon kernel used by eve-ng, but it looks like we are already running this kernel.

With my basic knowledge I did some testing with ovs, and it looks like with aditional config will permit lacp and bpdu traffic. But I do not know how to "convert" the pnet linux bridge interfaces to ovs interfaces.

Any suggestions?

Uldis (UD)

Post by Uldis (UD) » Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:30 pm

EVE Cookbook
https://www.eve-ng.net/images/EVE-COMM- ... latest.pdf
Section 9.5

There are given as well command which allows pass over bridge interfaces all what you mentioned

:)

EVE Pro it is enabled by default.
If your EVE is installed on VM ware workstation, then need extra tune for your Windows reg files pass through L2 traffic (called prmiscue mode)

Pauwl

Post by Pauwl » Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:44 pm

Hi,

I had this working with the community edition of eve.
I used: for i in /sys/class/net/pnet*/bridge/group_fwd_mask ; do echo 8 > $i ; done

I have upgraded to professional, but now this is not working anymore. You stated this should work by default in pro.
How can I fix this?

I use eve pro bare metal.