create secondary disk for VM

Before posting something, READ the changelog, WATCH the videos, howto and provide following:
Your install is: Bare metal, ESXi, what CPU model, RAM, HD, what EVE version you have, output of the uname -a and any other info that might help us faster.

Moderator: mike

ymeillier

create secondary disk for VM

Post by ymeillier » Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:12 am

Hi
I searched the forum for topics with title 'disk' and found 2 posts but none with a satisfactory solution.

I am trying to create a second disk for a node i'm deploying. this is to deploy freeNAS and using the second disk as my shared volume.

The cdrom.iso is that of freeNAS and the qcow2 is a regulard disk for freeNAS to install onto.

I tried 2 approaches to force the node to have a second disk.

1. deploy with one disk and once it is deployed, create another qcow2 image to place in the /opt/qemu/tmp/0/..../nodeid/

after starting the node again, it did not seem that the disk was picked detected.

2. in my image folder for freenas (/opt/unetlab/addons/qemu/winserver-freenas/, i have the 2 qcow2 files. Then when starting node, in the qemu options, use '-drive file=<myscond qcow)'
the node cannot be started if i also specify ',index=2' (stays greyed out). if i ommit ''-index=2' it start but it is not really working at boot

Is there a procedure to start images with a second disk?

Thank you

Uldis (UD)

Re: create secondary disk for VM

Post by Uldis (UD) » Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:41 am

amy disck VM are like:
Please check
https://www.eve-ng.net/index.php/docume ... mages-set/

Viptela vSmart image require to have extra HDD, so it is hdb.qcow2
Same story is for v
ESXi node
https://www.eve-ng.net/index.php/docume ... ware-esxi/
You are creating hdb.qcow2

ymeillier

Re: create secondary disk for VM

Post by ymeillier » Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:54 pm

Hi
Thank you very much for your response. All in the docs indeed just hadn't seen that bit of info in the image example i was reading.
I feel stupid but thanks for taking the time to answer.