Problem with editing the Exported-Config

Before posting something, READ the changelog, WATCH the videos, howto and provide following:
Your install is: Bare metal, ESXi, what CPU model, RAM, HD, what EVE version you have, output of the uname -a and any other info that might help us faster.

Moderator: mike

PeterB

Problem with editing the Exported-Config

Post by PeterB » Mon May 09, 2022 2:40 am

Hello all,

I have been able to export configs from vSRX (v22.1R1.10), but after I edit the exported-config, I am unable to get the device to boot using the newly edited config file. The only change I made was to the hostname, everything else stayed the same, this was to make sure that I didn’t introduce any errors. I have been through the video on how to work with initial configs, which explains how to wipe the config from NVRAM, and set it to boot from the exported config (shown by the lightning bolt = LB). Even though I have wiped the local device config, and the exported config shows the LB, the device does not choose this config when booting, and I’m not sure why.

Baseline: default boot, set hostname and root password, commit, export config. Check that the exported config has the new hostname, and shows LB: tick.
Test Procedure: change hostname in the exported config file click save, wipe device’s NVRAM, set all devices to start from exported config, check it says in the device settings to boot from “Exported”, start device, shows clock while booting.
Result: boots to previous config (before changing the hostname)

I am a new eve-ng user, and want to make sure my setup is correct before starting to work with large config files/labs. I could be doing something incorrectly, or have missed a step somewhere.

Thanks in Advance.

EVE-ng Environment:
Host: ESXi 7.0 U2, running with: 2x E5-2670 - 32vCPU and 64GB Ram, 2TB HDD
Hardware virtualisation: ticked
vSwitch: allow promiscuous - yes

Guest OS: EVE- ng Community Edition, installed from EVE-20171007.iso, VMware Tools installed
Allocated: 16 vCPU, 32 GB RAM, 50GB HDD

Uldis (UD)

Re: Problem with editing the Exported-Config

Post by Uldis (UD) » Mon May 09, 2022 3:42 pm

Advice use vSRX 3.0 image and not full qemu which are heavy and actually does same as vers 3.0 v22r1 and so on