EVE on bare metal or not

Before posting something, READ the changelog, WATCH the videos, howto and provide following:
Your install is: Bare metal, ESXi, what CPU model, RAM, HD, what EVE version you have, output of the uname -a and any other info that might help us faster.

Moderator: mike

kinporsch

EVE on bare metal or not

Post by kinporsch » Fri May 20, 2022 7:46 am

Hi all,

I am looking for some opinions and experience of the different deployments of EVE NG. I am currently getting SCOR out of the way before CCIE Sec.

Right through R&S, CCNA and up, I used GNS3 which is perfectly fine for running tons of routers and a few switches. With Security now, I need to run FTD, FMC, ISE, VM1, VM2, VM3, etc, etc. I have a decent rackmount server running ESXi and it is pretty fit for purpose, but I do like the idea of running Docker containers right in the EVE topologies and also vIOSL2 to incorporate switching for Dot1x, etc. I have been testing the Community edition as a VM on ESXi and found the performance a little slow. It took an hour to install a SVR '19 VM for example. The EVE VM itself had 120 gigs of RAM. Can anyone recommend the bare metal install of EVE? What have been your experiences with it? Is there a performance improvement? What about the Pro version? I think I am sold on the hot adds to interfaces and the docker containers, but I want some opinions on that too.

Thanks!

Uldis (UD)

Re: EVE on bare metal or not

Post by Uldis (UD) » Fri May 20, 2022 8:09 am

The EVE Priorities are:
1. CPU, as more cores you have as better, CPU is heart of your EVE, best of you could have Server/PC with dual sockets for e5-2680v4 !!!, you would be a king then
2. Fast HDD like SSD or SHDD, sill drastically improve performance, boot time of nodes, install nodes and running. Response time.
3. AND only then is RAM, you can have 256Gb RAM, but if your CPU will not hold nodes in the lab, your huge RAM becomes useless.
(It is myth, like I have 128Gb RAM and I am king, where your CPU has only 4 cores, it is usless)

PS: my server is DELL R630
dual CPU E5-2650v4 (24 physicals, 48 threads)
192GB RAM
4x2Tb SSD HDDs
Running ESXI 6.7 and till today I can carry all what I want, cleverly thinking of course.
EVE VM:
48 CPU (threads)
160GB RAM
2TB SSD

😊 100xCSRv1000 nodes of course will not run, and for technology test or POC you neednot 100.
Use our EVE resource calculator to check your lab needs vs CPU and resource:
https://www.eve-ng.net/index.php/download/#CALC