EVE-NG in Hyper-V - Virtual Switch to PNET to Cloud mapping

Before posting something, READ the changelog, WATCH the videos, howto and provide following:
Your install is: Bare metal, ESXi, what CPU model, RAM, HD, what EVE version you have, output of the uname -a and any other info that might help us faster.

Moderator: mike

badgerdog

EVE-NG in Hyper-V - Virtual Switch to PNET to Cloud mapping

Post by badgerdog » Sun Jun 05, 2022 6:34 am

Hello,

I'm running the latest, community edition, 5.0.1 release of EVE-NG on Windows 11 PRO with Hyper-V. Everything is working fine so far, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to map the Hyper-V virtual switches to the EVE-NG "Cloudx." The EVE-NG management Cloud0 works fine, it is automatically mapped to the fir Virtual Switch that I create in Hyper-V to support the installation of EVE-NG... I can easily an EVE lab device, such as an IOL router, to the Cloud0 and it will communicate with my local network and the internet through the Hyper-V virtual switch. Where I'm having a problem, is mapping other Hyper-V created virtual switches to a respective Cloudx (Cloud1, Cloud2, Cloud3, etc.) in EVE-NG. For example, say I want to create a AAA server VM in my Hyper-V and have it run on its own private Hyper-V virtual switch and now I want to have a router or PC within my EVE lab communicate with that AAA server running as a VM withing Hyer-V... how do I map the EVE-NG Cloudx to that AAA server's Hyper-V virtual switch so they can talk? This works fine if running EVE-NG in ESXi or VMware Workstation, I just create new virtual NIC in the VMware flavor and they new vNICs map one-for-one to the EVE-NG PNETS and Clouds(X). I've tried a dozen ways to get this to work, but must be missing something very simple. I've Googled, YouTubed and searched this forum, but this issue doesn't seem to be addresses anywhere. Any input is appreciated.

Before saying just run EVE-NG on ESXi or VMware Workstation, I have a couple of those setup already for various purposes, but found myself needing another instance of EVE-NG and I only have a PC with an Realtek 8125 NIC and VMWare doesn't support that NIC. It's not possible to run a ESXi supported NIC in the little PC, so Windows with Hyper-V it is. And... before you say that there is a VIB driver out there for the Realtek 8125 that can be patched into VMWare ESXi, I've been that route. There is a driver and it does work.... except it doesn't support VLAN tags.

Thanks for any help

Pit

Re: EVE-NG in Hyper-V - Virtual Switch to PNET to Cloud mapping

Post by Pit » Sun Jun 05, 2022 1:04 pm

I have the same issue with ESXi 6.7 . I do not think that this issue is related to drivers or hypervisior. it should be something on eve.

badgerdog

Post by badgerdog » Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:26 am

I'd much rather run EVE-NG on vSphere (ESXi) by obtaining a working VIB driver for my Realtek 8125 that supports 802.1q tagging, but it's not yet available and I don't know how to develop the driver myself.

Uldis (UD)

Post by Uldis (UD) » Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:06 am

ESXi for sure support tags for any eve.
Just matter of esxi config