vIOS not connecting to management connection

Before posting something, READ the changelog, WATCH the videos, howto and provide following:
Your install is: Bare metal, ESXi, what CPU model, RAM, HD, what EVE version you have, output of the uname -a and any other info that might help us faster.

Moderator: mike

wfsteady

vIOS not connecting to management connection

Post by wfsteady » Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:01 pm

Code: Select all

Installed on ESXi 6.7 (Oracle Sun X4170-M2) 
8 CPUs x Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5620 @ 2.40GHz
Logical processors	16
Processor type	Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5620 @ 2.40GHz
Sockets	2
Cores per socket	4

Memory	71.99 GB (48 Gig Allocated to Eve-NG)

Network Adapter VMXNET 3

EVE-NG Version: 5.0.1-20-PRO
Linux eve-ng 5.17.8-eve-ng-uksm-wg+ #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon May 16 10:08:59 UTC 2022 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
I am trying to use vIOS image: vios-adventerprisek9-m.vmdk.SPA.157-3.M3 and in the past I have had it working but I have since reinstalled eve-ng and now when I try to run it, it works, but it is having issues if I connect one of the interfaces to the management network so I can ssh to it.

I notice on my physical firewall that I see the IP address of the device and if I try to ping it, the ping sometimes works but with ping times of 6 and 7 seconds.
If I try to ping the gateway from the vIOS router it fails every time.
I have tried various combinations of NICs on the vIOS and some give me interfaces and others do not.

The weird thing to me is that if I configure a CSR1000 image in the same lab in EVE-NG it connects to my management network just fine. I can ping the internet and everything else and I can ssh to the device from my desktop SecureCRT terminal

I have tried multiple vIOS versions and not sure what next steps I can take.

Any assistance would be appreciated
Thanks
Wally