Community EVE-NG on Apple Mac issue running VNC

Before posting something, READ the changelog, WATCH the videos, howto and provide following:
Your install is: Bare metal, ESXi, what CPU model, RAM, HD, what EVE version you have, output of the uname -a and any other info that might help us faster.

Moderator: mike

farouqtaj

Community EVE-NG on Apple Mac issue running VNC

Post by farouqtaj » Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:27 pm

I can't VNC from my Apple Mac (Apple OSX Client pack with VNC viewer installed) to a QEMU node on a Community EVE-NG running on VMWare Fusion.

When clicking on a Windows10 node I get a Screen Sharing password prompt when I’m expecting it to run the VNC Viewer. Where is this password set and can I disable it?

If I log in to EVE-NG with the HTML5 Console, the GUI for the Windows10 node pops up just fine in the web browser. It’s a bit slow this way and I’d rather use the VNC Client directly not via the browser.

Note I have already installed the EVE-NG Client pack and have VNC viewer installed. I just can’t run it from within an EVE-NG lab.

jl902j

Re: Community EVE-NG on Apple Mac issue running VNC

Post by jl902j » Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:02 pm

tried to install again the mac client, i had the same behaviour i install again the client pack and works fine

tammy9931

Post by tammy9931 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:16 pm

I'm having the same issue. "Attempting to reconnect to VNC Server...RFB protocol error: invalid message type 20" which is an Ubuntu Linux 18.04. Tried reinstalling the EVE-ClientPackV2.dmg with no resolution. Running an older version of Mac 10.15 because of how much trouble upgrading caused for EVE-NG community and all the posts scared me into staying where I was on 10.15. So, the MAC upgrade has been on the back burner.

Upon start, if either version of Linux is get "vcpu, guest rIP: xxxxxx disabled perfctr wrmsr: 0xc2 data 0xffff." A quick google search doens't appear that this is an issue, but I prefer to put as much info in here as possible.

Remote Ripple doesn't connect either. It connected 1x and errored on username, but subsequent connections did not complete.
MS Remote Desktop error "Unable to Connect Error Code 0x4." Yes, I changed the "console type" to RDP. But I'm not sure if I am just using my EVE's host address and somehow EVE know's RDP trying to get to the linux box?

I tried a newer linux version, Kali, JIC but this time got a VNC error "RFB protocol error: invalid message type 255."

I know everyone is going to say "upgrade" my MAC but the pound of flesh may not be the ounce of "what ever" game of Tetris I have to play to get EVE-NG back up and running.

Please don't answer with "upgrade" since that's not really the help I am looking for. I feel like this should work unless its been "broken" since the inception of the feature.

EVE-NG Community 2.0.3
Mac OS 10.15

Upgrading MAC destroys EVE-NG so I'm kinda stuck until I have an entire day to rebuild. This arena is not my forte.

kindly,
T
Posts and thoughts are my own irrespective of my employer.

thanks,
Tammy

tammy9931

Post by tammy9931 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:24 pm

HOLY CARP - Its working.

I have NO idea what I did, but I kept changing the linux hosts connection type from VNC to RDP on both version. The Kali finally responded and is UP!
Posts and thoughts are my own irrespective of my employer.

thanks,
Tammy