Nested VMs - IP Configuration

Moderator: mike

Chopper

Nested VMs - IP Configuration

Post by Chopper » Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:59 am

I have a nested VM set up and am wondering if there are recommendations about the IP config. I can't find too much about nesting VM's so thought I would put my question here.

I am using a mac book pro and plan to be on the go with my lab. The vmnet8 Ip on my mac is 192.168.231.1. The IP assigned to EVE-NG was 192.168.231.130. I set up the VM and then worried I might not have set it up correctly and wiped it out. So before I mess this up and get too far down the rabbit hole and need to redo a million things I thought I would ask.

First Question:
I have Fusion 12 running a Window's 7 Pro vm that is running workstation player 14, that is running the Eve NG vm. My assumption is to use NAT with DHCP since I don't see the IP between the Workstation vm and EVE changing. Or is even using NAT over kill given the set up.

Second question:
I am anticipating moving to a windows lap top to help eliminate the layers of complication I've gotten into here. Not sure I'm comfortable with running EVE on Fusion and having to wrestle all those unknowns. The tutorial videos out there with workstation player running eve recommend NAT and Static, but the Static IP being used is from the Eth0 IP that is hard wired into the device. My assumption is that the David Bombal videos should be using the IP from their wireless lan controller to establish the Static NAT since a majority of the users with laptops use wifi for the convenience.

Many thanks and I appreciate your patience. I'm totally out of my comfort zone.

Uldis (UD)

Re: Nested VMs - IP Configuration

Post by Uldis (UD) » Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:09 am

First: Totally wrong idea to do it, You actually made 3rd layer virtualization which is not working at all
Answer, run EVE as VM on Fusion directly
Second, There is no differenze install EVE on fusion or VM ware workstation, steps are totally same