How to bypass the startup delay

Moderator: mike

red5

How to bypass the startup delay

Post by red5 » Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:21 pm

Hi all,

Setup: EVE-NG Pro License (5.0.1-20-PRO) running on Ubuntu 20.04.5 LTS
Hardware: dedicated bare metal server, Dell PowerEdge R610, 2 x 2.93 GHz Intel Xeon X5670 CPUs, 192GB memory, 190GB HDD space (available 123GB)
uname -a => Linux eve-ng 5.17.8-eve-ng-uksm-wg+ #1 SMP PREEMPT x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I have 7 x Juniper vSRX-es and 3 x Juniper VMX-es configured in a lab. In order to avoid hogging the CPU, I've set up startup delays on each router - basically I start a batch of two routers every 7 minutes.

I start the lab via "More actions | Start all nodes" and once all devices have finished booting, I always, always found a couple that did not boot properly (meaning I either can't get into the CLI, or no command is accepted by the CLI). Which devices are affected and their numbers is random. Why that happens, I don't know and it will be the subject of a different posting.

However, the only option at that point is to shut the affected device down and start it again (and then it boots up properly).

And here is the problem: even if I start one device (click -> Start), it **still** uses the delay setting. Which, in my opinion, makes no sense. I don't want to wait X minutes for it to start booting. Adding delay when you want to boot them all via a single command - sure. But when you want to boot only one device, the delay should be bypassed/ignored. Or an option be added to allow just that.

So, is there a setting currently that would allow me to bypass the startup delay when booting a single device ? As without it, I have to set the delay to 0, boot it and wait/remember to re-set it to the original value when it's stopped (as you can't change that value while it's running). That completely defeats the whole purpose of having a startup delay in the first place.

Thank you for your time.