Open Virtual Switch (OVS)

Moderator: mike

Cyb3n3tic

Open Virtual Switch (OVS)

Post by Cyb3n3tic » Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:47 pm

Hi,

I would like to add a virtual switch in to an Eve-NG Pro lab that supports SPAN and RSPAN and thought that maybe Open Virtual Switch would be an option. Reading through old forum posts I get the impression this is/was not supported as Eve has developed its own virtual switch features but are there any suggestions as far as SPAN and RSPAN are concerned?

Looking for something opensource ideally.

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

Cheers

Uldis (UD)

Re: Open Virtual Switch (OVS)

Post by Uldis (UD) » Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:25 pm

EVE interface called Bridge does this function

Cyb3n3tic

Post by Cyb3n3tic » Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:00 pm

That's good to know, can you point me to some documentation re configuring SPAN and/or RSPAN please as I couldn't find that in the Pro cookbook.

Uldis (UD)

Post by Uldis (UD) » Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:12 pm

Cyb3n3tic wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:00 pm
That's good to know, can you point me to some documentation re configuring SPAN and/or RSPAN please as I couldn't find that in the Pro cookbook.
SPAN and RSPAN are pure Cisco switch stuff, it is not related to OVS ot bridge at all.
I even made some lab for it
https://www.eve-ng.net/index.php/lab-library/lab1/

Cyb3n3tic

Post by Cyb3n3tic » Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:08 am

I think SPAN was orinally created by Cisco but it is far from just a Cisco thing now and SPAN/port mirroring whatever you want to call it is supported by many brands such as Cisco, HP or Juniper and certainly something that is supported by OVS - see https://docs.openvswitch.org/en/latest/ ... figuration

I'll see what I can get working and post anything useful in due course in case it help others.

hassanizhar

Post by hassanizhar » Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:24 pm

EVE-NG (EVEngine) is a network emulator that supports virtual switches, including open virtual switches like Open vSwitch (OVS). EVE-NG provides its own virtual switches, but you can also use OVS in your EVE-NG lab.

Regarding SPAN and RSPAN, EVE-NG provides support for SPAN (Switched Port Analyzer) by allowing you to mirror a switch port to another port or VLAN, which can be useful for network analysis and troubleshooting. You can configure SPAN on EVE-NG virtual switches using the standard CLI commands of the underlying switch OS, such as IOS or IOS-XE.

RSPAN (Remote SPAN) is also supported in EVE-NG by using the same SPAN configuration, but with the added capability of sending the mirrored traffic to a remote switch.

In summary, if you want to use SPAN or RSPAN in your EVE-NG lab, you can use the virtual switches provided by EVE-NG, or you can use Open vSwitch, and configure SPAN or RSPAN using the standard CLI commands of the underlying switch OS.
I write about anything that might interest me, from short blogs to highly informative, fact-heavy articles. I’m always looking to use my passion to create exciting marketing opportunities, as well as bring value to others through my work.

Delwyn

Post by Delwyn » Fri Apr 21, 2023 6:44 am

Open vSwitch (OVS) is a popular open-source virtual switch that supports SPAN and RSPAN, among other features. While I'm not familiar with the specific implementation of Eve-NG Pro's virtual switch, it may be possible to integrate OVS into your lab environment.

To get started, you can install OVS on a virtual machine or bare-metal server within your lab environment. Once installed, you can configure SPAN or RSPAN sessions to mirror traffic to the virtual switch, and then use tools like Wireshark to analyze the mirrored traffic.

Keep in mind that integrating OVS into your lab environment may require additional configuration and troubleshooting, depending on your specific setup. It's also worth noting that Eve-NG Pro's virtual switch features may already support SPAN and RSPAN, so you may want to explore those options first before considering OVS.
blossom word game

Uldis (UD)

Post by Uldis (UD) » Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:54 am

we have smart-bridge integrated now on EVE Pro vers 5.0.1-93
Span and RSPAN works on IOL or vIOS switches as well