Simulate SHOW INVENTORY command in EVE-NG

Moderator: mike

brianfyffe

Simulate SHOW INVENTORY command in EVE-NG

Post by brianfyffe » Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:25 am

Hello. I'm new to this, so I apologize in advance.

I have limited knowledge of EVE-NG, but I'm trying to set up a basic configuration with a Windows 10 virtual machine and a Cisco L2 switch. My goal is to test some inventory automation scripting, specifically gathering information from the "SHOW INVENTORY" command. I want to sandbox this in EVE-NG before running it on a real network.

However, when I execute the "SHOW INVENTORY" command in the switch console within EVE-NG, I don't receive any error messages, but it also doesn't display any data on the screen.

I assume that this behavior is intentional due to the virtual and testing nature of the images. Do you have any suggestions on how I could simulate the results of the "SHOW INVENTORY" command?

Thank you.

Uldis (UD)

Re: Simulate SHOW INVENTORY command in EVE-NG

Post by Uldis (UD) » Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:30 am

Hello,
I recommending to use the cisco CSR1000v nodes which actually are real production images.
also Nexus9000v does it
see below
used
show inventory
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PomaryLinea

Post by PomaryLinea » Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:11 pm

You're right, the lack of output for "SHOW INVENTORY" in your L2 switch within EVE-NG is likely due to the limited functionality of the pre-configured images. Simulating real network behavior can be tricky in virtual environments.

Here are some options to achieve your goal:

1. Customize the L2 switch image:

Look for custom L2 switch images in EVE-NG's online community repository. These might have functionalities closer to real devices, including "SHOW INVENTORY" output.
Explore patching or modifying the existing image to inject your desired output for testing purposes. This needs technical expertise.
2. Use scripting within EVE-NG:

Create a small script within EVE-NG that simulates the output of "SHOW INVENTORY" based on predefined data or variables. This allows you to customize the output for your specific testing needs.
3. Consider alternative tools:

Explore network emulation tools like GNS3 or Packet Tracer. They might offer pre-configured network devices with more detailed functionalities.
Use network testing frameworks like Scapy or nmap to simulate network interactions and retrieve device information.

Uldis (UD)

Post by Uldis (UD) » Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:10 pm

L2 IOL Siwtch is NOT EVE switch but such is Cisco image production !
Id inventeory is not expected to be in it by cisco, no one can do it working in such

EVE-NG is platform which is running other vendor images, aka VM ware esxi hyrvisor, and we have nothing to do with vendor images code, they are as they are