Note for vSRX-NG (18.4 tested)

Before posting something, READ the changelog, WATCH the videos, howto and provide following:
Your install is: Bare metal, ESXi, what CPU model, RAM, HD, what EVE version you have, output of the uname -a and any other info that might help us faster.

Moderator: mike

sus_admin

Note for vSRX-NG (18.4 tested)

Post by sus_admin » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:55 am

Hi

When creating nodes with Juniper vSRX (I am using 18.4R3.3) - I found the 'default' QEMU string is insufficient.

It's missing "+vmx". This seems to be the QEMU flag that tells the guest VM to utilise hardware acceleration. Without it, the Junos Windriver Linux boot message says something like "kvm: no hardware acceleration available" in the telnet terminal on boot. The performance by default is also terrible.

Here is the string I am using at the moment, all other parameters (QEMU version etc) are default, although I suspect we can improve things more with tweaking.

"-machine type=pc-1.0,accel=kvm -cpu qemu64,+vmx,+ssse3,+sse4.1,+sse4.2,+x2apic,+aes,pclmulqdq -serial mon:stdio -nographic -no-user-config -nodefaults -rtc base=utc"

This makes them perform almost as well as a real one ;)

EVE-NG version: 2.0.3-102

kronicklez

Re: Note for vSRX-NG (18.4 tested)

Post by kronicklez » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:20 pm

Hi,

I'm test using your method compare with two vSRX ver 19.3 and using your method the bootup faster compare not put +vmx.

Thanks