Versions this guide is based on:
|EVE Image Foldername
|Other versions should also be supported following bellow’s procedure.
Steps below are based on esxi-vSphere-6.5d creation, for other image deployment, use proper names respectively.
1. Download one of politely provided VM Ware nested images. In this how to is used 6.5d image.
2. SSH to EVE and login as root, from cli and create temporary working directory abc on the EVE’s root:
4. Extract OVA image, for further use we will need on ISO install CD which is inside OVA.
tar xvf Nested_ESXi6.5d_Appliance_Template_v1.0.ova
5. Convert first vmdk hdd to the qcow2 format.
/opt/qemu/bin/qemu-img convert -f vmdk -O qcow2 Nested_ESXi6.5d_Appliance_Template_v1.0-disk1.vmdk hda.qcow2
6. Create another hdd in qcow2 format. It will be your ESXi storage hdd. Optional, you can create more than one storage hdd, names for storage hdd will be hdb, hdc. In this step I create single storage hdd. Example 100GB. Dont worry, it does not reserve 100GB on your eve hdd, but creating just a frame for it.
/opt/qemu/bin/qemu-img create -f qcow2 hdb.qcow2 100G
7. Create new image folder
8. Move your created prepared image files hda.qcow2 and hdb.qcow2 to the image directory
mv hda.qcow2 hdb.qcow2 /opt/unetlab/addons/qemu/esxi-vSphere-6.5d/
9. Delete temporary directory abc and fix permissions
rm -rf abc
/opt/unetlab/wrappers/unl_wrapper -a fixpermissions
Username and password for newly created image will be root/VMware1!
The recommendation for this image is to assign x4 or better CPU, and give 8GB or more RAM.