|EVE-NG is currently released as an OVF files and ISO. An OVF is a Open Virtual Format. It’s an Open Virtualization File for the virtual machine. EVE-NG can be also directly installed on the physical hardware, without any virtualization by use of ISO image. Because EVE-NG runs many hypervisor, it’s strongly recommended a physical server dedicated for it, without any virtualization software. Mind that nested virtualization is not a good thing and can lead to poor performance.
EVE-NG Supported platforms and systems:
- Intel CPU VT-x/EPT
- One of the following:
- Ubuntu Xenial Xerus 16.04.X LTS 64bit for EVE Community Only.
- Ubuntu Bionic Beaver 18.04.X LTS 64bit for EVE-PRO Only
- VMware ESXi 6.0 or later
- VMware Workstation 14.0 or later
- VMware Fusion 8 or later
- VMware Player 14.0 or later
- Google Cloud platform VM
- AMD Ryzen 3900, the newer AMD EPYC should work as well. Please consult to EVE support for CPU tune before use. Older series AMD can have issues
NOT supported or have serious issues:
Using platforms or systems listed below, is user responsibiliy and not officially supported.
- MAC OSX Big Sur and Monterey currently is not supported
- MAC M1 CPU is not supported due issues with VM Ware Fusion and nested CPU.
- Oracle VM Virtual Box does not support HW acceleration !!! Avoid to using it !!!!
- VM Ware NAS or DAS storages as EVE HDD, please choose local HDD only
- MS Hyper-V, issues with nested virtualization
- Proxmox, issues with nested virtualization
- XEN Citrix, issues with nested virtualization
- Azure cloud is not officially supported, because Azure overwrite kernel for EVE VM, and do not accept custom Kernels for VM Machines.
- AWS cloud is not officially supported due issues with sub-virtualization. It has issues to run Qemu nodes
- Nutanix, issues with nested virtualization
- NAS or DAS is not supported for EVE HDD system
- Other virtual or nested cloud platforms are not officially supported.
Required CPU and RAM depend on how many nodes are needed to run. 4 vCPU and 6GB of RAM can be enough for IOU/IOL and Dynamips only, but will be insufficient for topology with CSR1000V routers.
In other words the EVE-NG requirements are the same for nested ESXi virtualization or Cisco VIRL/CML. EVE-NG can still work without Intel VT processors and can run installed within other hypervisors also But:
- 64 bits (x86_64) appliances won’t work.
- Poor performances should be expected with 32 bits (i386) appliances.